Do you know what a problem solution essay is? If not, then the first thing to know is that you should start by looking at a number of topics before choosing one that is suitable. After that, you will need to:
- Provide a detailed explanation of the problem;
- Recommend a suitable solution;
- Develop an argument that shows your solution is practical, capable of being achieved and cost-efficient;
- Say why your suggested solution is the best one.
Are you finding it difficult to choose a topic for your problem and solution essay? Take a look at the following list of ideas. Do not forget you can adapt any of these suggestions to suit your own purpose or circumstances.
Is driving a passion of yours? If it is, then the following problem and solution essay topics may interest you.
- How should people who are caught texting when driving be punished?
- Are there any improvements that could be made in your area to make driving a less stressful and more pleasant experience?
- How can parking be improved in a congested or busy area you are familiar with?
- Can people be taught to become better drivers and, if so, how?
- Should the use of public transport be better promoted and what incentives should people be given to use it?
- Are there any changes that could or should be made to existing speed limits and traffic laws to encourage better driving?
- Is the education for learner-drivers in your state good enough or is there room for improvement?
- Could the learner-driver laws in the state you live in be improved so that people become better and more careful drivers?
- What do you consider to be the most serious driving violations and is there any way these can be eradicated?
- How do you think deaths related to drink-driving can be prevented?
Topics on College Life
This problem solution essay topics list relates to college life where there are usually a number of good and bad issues to consider.
- Can students become better at exams and tests and, if so, how?
- Is there any way of reducing student procrastination?
- How can homesickness be dealt with most effectively?
- Is there an effective way to balance work, study and an active social life?
- Can college environments be made safer? How?
- Recommend ways of reducing stress amongst college students.
- What is the best criterion for choosing a college?
- Is it difficult for parents to let their children go when they begin college and what are the most effective ways to let go?
- What can students do to encourage their parents to given them their independence?
- How would you help a suicidal friend?
- What is the best way of asking or getting your parents to increase your allowance?
- What is the best way of dealing with problematic roommates?
- Is there anything you can do if those in the dormitory or apartment next to you are too noisy?
- When students start college, what should they do to maintain a healthy lifestyle and diet?
- Is there any way of making college education less costly for students? Should at least part of student education be government-funded?
- What is the best way of coping when something a student hopes for does not happen, for example, if they don’t get the scholarship they hoped for or a place on the course they wanted?
- Are there any ways of improving attentiveness in class?
- Are there any study techniques a student can use to improve their grades?
- What are the most effective ways of managing attendance e.g. at lectures, classes, etc.?
- How can colleges help students when they fall behind and should a student’s parents be allowed to know their grades?
- What are the best ways of managing student finances?
- How can students stay fit and healthy if their favorite sport isn’t offered at their new college?
- How can colleges encourage students to actively take part in politics and elections on campus?
- How should students decide whether to rush a sorority or fraternity?
Topics on Education
Here is another list of problem solution essay topics for college students.
- What can be done to provide students who are especially talented or gifted with suitable education?
- How should schools cater for special-needs students in order to serve them better?
- What is the best way of dealing with students who are disruptive and/or have behavioral problems?
- Should other languages such as Chinese or Arabic become compulsory for every student?
- What is the best way of making home-schooled students ready for college?
- Is there any way college education can be improved for students who have learning difficulties?
- How should cheating at school be handled and are there any preventative steps that can be taken?
- What is the best way of helping children who are failing in class or finding it difficult to keep up at school?
- Should schools do anything to address child obesity and, if so, what can they do?
- Should all schools operate by the same core curriculum and what do you suggest that curriculum contain?
- Should schools focus more on physical education (PE) with a view to building healthier and fitter communities?
- Should colleges and schools put more funding and resources into sports, fine arts and similar activities?
- How could your school or college be improved?
- What could or should be done to tackle bullying, violence and other types of anti-social activities in schools?
- Should conventional textbooks be replaced with digital media? Is there a case for every student having an iPad or laptop? Are schools adapting well to changing technologies?
Parenting and Family Matters
Parents and family are something every writer identifies with so here are a few topic ideas, which may help, especially if you are just learning how to write a problem solution essay.
- If parents are to help their children avoid eating disorders, how can they encourage them develop a healthy view of their bodies?
- Do you believe parents are responsible for their children’s body weight and how can families with obese children be helped?
- Is it important for parents to teach religion to their children and how can they do this?
- How can parents teach their offspring to manage money effectively?
- How can parents manage the way their children use cell phones and other technologies such as social media?
- How should parents discipline children and what are the most effective ways of doing this?
- Are there any ways that adoption rules should be changed so that children are given the opportunity of a loving family before they outgrow the welfare system?
- What is the best advice for parents who put too much pressure on children to achieve?
- What is the best way of helping families to cope with a child who has a mental illness?
Topics on Relationships
Everyone is concerned in some way with relationships. The following are some ideas that may help with your problem solution essays.
- What are the best ways of removing barriers so that we can communicate better with people who differ from ourselves in terms of culture, race and socioeconomic circumstances?
- What are the best ways of dealing with people who are manipulative and/or domineering?
- What advice would you offer someone in an unhealthy or unsuitable relationship?
- If you thought your friend was making poor lifestyle choices, what advice would you give them?
- Do you think texting has affected personal relationships for better or worse? Should or can anything be done to make sure the modern generation understands the difference between “real” and “virtual” relationships?
- Is there anything individuals and society as a whole can do to move away from stereotyping and racism?
- How would you help someone with depression symptoms?
- When a relationship is ready to move on from “friendship,” what is the best way to achieve this?
- What is the best way for a woman to let a man know she likes him? Do you think she should suggest a date?
Topics on Society
- What are the best ways of preventing divorce?
- What are the best ways of preventing teenage pregnancy?
- What are the best ways of eliminating or preventing racism?
- What is the best way of helping homeless people?
- How can young people be prevented from trying or using drugs?
- What are the best ways of helping those who suffer domestic or family violence?
- How can the number of deaths caused by drink driving be reduced or prevented?
- How can young people be encouraged to drive more safely?
- Modern media is often accused of portraying too much violence and making pornography too easily available. How can children be protected from the adverse effects of these?
- What can be done to improve literacy?
- What can be done to encourage people to live healthier lives e.g. by taking more exercise, not smoking, etc.?
- What are the best ways of helping school and college leavers to find employment?
- How should the increase in gun-type crime be tackled?
- How can prisoners be rehabilitated so that they become valuable members of society?
- What is the best way of dealing with illegal immigrants?
- What is the best way of dealing with terrorism?
- When a couple divorce, how can society help their children succeed academically, be happy and build solid relationships and/or marriages?
- What changes can be made to the welfare system to help people get out of poverty?
- What can be done to eliminate people trafficking?
- How can society strike a balance between freedom of speech and an individual’s right not to be insulted or abused?
- How can we ensure that proper healthcare is available to people everywhere in the world?
- Is there any way your locality can be made more friendly for cyclists and pedestrian?
Here are a few final ideas for a problem solution essay.
- How can athletes mentally prepare for occasional or even frequent defeat?
- Is sports training too difficult for young children? How should youngsters be taught their chosen sport?
- How can steroid use be limited or eliminated in sport?
- How should someone prepare if they are to succeed at a particular sport?
- Can anything be done to make your local sports team more successful and/or can local support be improved?
- How can professional sportsmen and women mentally prepare themselves for injury or even retirement?
- Do you think your favorite sporting venue could be improved and how?
- How can coaches incentivize their players to improve performance?
- How much payment do you think players of your favorite sport should get? Should payments be somehow divided or capped?
- Should those who participate in college sports get paid? Can colleges improve the effectiveness of athletics and sports education?
- Could the media cover a sport you follow better? Do some games get better coverage than other types?
You may also be interested in:
PERSUASIVE ESSAY TOPICS GUIDE TO WRITING A PROCESS ESSAY WRITING GREAT CAUSE AND EFFECT ESSAYS ADVICE ON WRITING DEFINITION ESSAYS WHAT ARE CRITICAL ESSAYS?
Alexa Rain 3 months agofrom egypt
A lot of inspired topics and issues,
you always help in finding ways by arrange your reader thinking and informative things.
i am big fan of you.
Virginia Kearney 4 months agofrom United States
Hi Christina--My articles on how to write can help you! Find them by looking to the side or on my profile page. Or just use Google and type what you need with my name.
Christinaaa 4 months ago
I'm trying to write an argument research paper on social media and mental illness or social media and relationships but I'm having trouble narrowing my topic and creating the key points for my paper.
Virginia Kearney 5 months agofrom United States
Hi Rosie--You have a good topic and an interesting personal connection. I'd suggest that you do a frame story introduction and conclusion. Start with your situation and then stop part-way through and ask the question: should you call CPS? Then do your answer and tell why or why not. Finish with telling the end of your story. See my articles on "How to write an argument paper" and "How to write a position paper" for full instructions.
rosie 5 months ago
Wondering how to write a position essay. Topic should you call Child Protective Services. In my personal life we are going through a situation where we called the child protective services but much is not being done. Was thinking if I choose this topic I could write some of our family's frustration about the situation, don't know how to go about writing this essay
Virginia Kearney 6 months agofrom United States
Khen--You can find help if you look for my articles about how to write different kinds of position or argument papers. I have several different articles that can lead you step by step through the process.
Khen 6 months ago
Can you please help me in my position paper?
Virginia Kearney 7 months agofrom United States
Roami, You have an interesting idea. I think one way for you to get some good information to start your paper is to research why local languages are not included in the instruction first. Next, you might want to interview some people to find out their positions and to get some quotes on this topic. Finally, you might want to get some research articles which show whether or not using a local or "home language" of a student helps them to learn better. In the United States, research has shown that students who receive some instruction in their own language at least at first often do better in the long run than a child who is "fully immersed" in English. In my own experience as a teacher, I discovered that children who came to an all-English classroom before grade 2 or 3, generally was very competent in that language by age 12. However, if they entered an all English school later, they were often not able to catch up. However, that only works if the child is in a school where no one else speaks their native language (as is often true in the U.S. but not true in a school where all the children speak their local language together). You have a wonderful topic and one that is very important for your country to consider. I wish you great success in your paper.
roami 7 months ago
pls, i need u to look into this position topic for me. Should local languages be made as compulsory as religious languages in schools
Virginia Kearney 9 months agofrom United States
Hi Sam, you might want to try my article about Funny Argumentative Essay Topic Ideas, or else do the negative of any idea here or in one of my many other argument essays. In a "devil's advocate" paper, you want to go against what most people think. Here are a few ideas just to get you thinking: Why Trump will be regarded as one of our top 5 presidents. Why we should leave ISIS alone. Why race is less a problem in America than Europe. Why the leader of North Korea isn't really crazy.
Sam 9 months ago
I have this assignment of playing the role of devil's advocate and I can't think of a good topic!
( I personally prefer a political related topic).
Virginia Kearney 12 months agofrom United States
Aidyn-You add a very interesting position topic. I had not thought about schools making rules against fasting but it certainly could hurt a child's performance in school if they were fasting for a longer period than a day or two. That could cause a school to be concerned. Thanks for your comment and idea.
Aidyn Krikorian 12 months ago
I greatly appreciate your website, and I have a suggestion for a topic. "Should we allow fasting or other religious acts in schools?" This topic facsinates me and I do hope you will consider it. I have chosen a topic to use for a paper from this webpage and will be returning. Thank you, Aidyn.
Virginia Kearney 12 months agofrom United States
Rose--You did not mention what aspect of culture you are writing about which makes it hard to help you. However, for example, if you are writing a paper arguing to people that only like modern music that classical music is worth listening to, you could start by talking about what you agree with about modern music and acknowledge why people of your generation might prefer to listen to it. Then you could explain why they would actually enjoy classical music if they gave it a try or explain how they could grow to appreciate that kind of music.
rose lasu 12 months ago
I need help on my regerian Argument eassy on culture. I dont now how to start it, Does anyone knows how.thanks
Preston Heard 14 months ago
These are great topics for the upcoming research essays. I will definitely be using one of them. Thank you for this resource!
Aaron Gibson 14 months ago
Excited for your class this semester!
Matt Hartman 14 months ago
This article along with many of the other articles you have written will be very helpful this semester! I'm looking forward to your class!
Virginia Kearney 16 months agofrom United States
Look for my articles about how to write argument or position essays for lots of ideas on how to introduce essays and find sources. Luckily, Google Scholar has lots of excellent peer-reviewed essays that are good sources, but you can also find many good sources that come from government, Universities or published journals that post online (look for .gov, .edu or a journal that also appears in print). One easy way to start your introduction is to tell a story about a student who is generally shy (or maybe bullied) but gets excited (and more included by others) when they are able to share about their own culture during a multiculturalism unit.
jenn 16 months ago
I am doing an Apa essay on "should schools be required to teach multiculturalism" any idea on how I should start my intro and what sources I should use?
Virginia Kearney 17 months agofrom United States
Bebe--You don't tell me whether your paper is a research paper or not, but I've written many articles on how to write different sorts of essays. You can use the search engine on HubPages to find them, or look at the links that usually appear when you pull up one of my articles. Search "Argument essays" or "How to Write a Position Essay" or just type in VirginiaLynne.
To start a paper on your topic, I think I would use a story in the introduction showing a miscommunication when people don't talk face to face.
bebe 17 months ago
Hey . Can you please help me in my position paper . I dont how to start . My topic is cellphone,texts and emails are not as good as talking face to face . It is from yours sample :) thank you
B-RAD 24 months ago
I think that is video gaming good or bad is a great topic to choose.
Virginia Kearney 2 years agofrom United States
Yes Alsaifl, I think that "What is beauty?" could be a topic. You are right that your answer would be a definition claim.
Jumanah Alsaif 2 years ago
Is the topics What is true beauty? (definition) a good topic for a position paper? I was thinking of writing how the definition of beauty is different for each individual
Brittany Adams 14 2 years ago
Thank you so much for posting! This helps a lot with my writing!
Tariq Ali Khan 2 years ago
Excellent work buddy! Thank you so much !
Kristen Howe 2 years agofrom Northeast Ohio
Great topics for a variety of essays for everyone who needs to be inspired. Voted up for useful!
Joanna 3 years ago
That Tom Hanks video is hilarious. These ideas are very thought-provoking and inspiring!
Virginia Kearney 3 years agofrom United States
Cindy A. So glad I was able to give you some good information!
Cindy A. 3 years ago
Unbelievable. You have helped me enormously. Thank you so much
Bluerider 3 years ago
Thank you for these great topics.
VJG 3 years agofrom Texas
This would be an interesting article for school students. They always seem to struggle for essay ideas.
Virginia Kearney 3 years agofrom United States
Hi Safa--Here are the main steps:
1. Choose a question you are going to write about. Then think about what your answer to the question is going to be.
2. Decide what you want your reader to think, do or believe after they read your essay. That is your thesis (the answer to your question).
3. Decide who you want to persuade to believe this (that is your reader or audience). Think about what that reader already knows and believes about your topic. That will help you develop your arguments. The reader should not be someone who already believes what you do. If they do, you aren't really arguing are you?
4. Think of at least 3 reasons why your reader should believe your thesis. Those reasons will be the main body part of your essay.
5. Think of examples or evidence which supports each of those reasons. That is what you will use to support those three reasons.
6. What objections will your reader have? Write those out and also your answers to those objections. This will be a paragraph after your reasons.
7. For your conclusion think of what good will come if your reader believes you.
I've written more in detail about this in my article: https://owlcation.com/academia/How-to-Write-an-Arg...
Virginia Kearney 4 years agofrom United States
Hi katha- if you look at the bottom right blue box I have the links to sample essays. These are student essays so they are published by my students under their own names here on hubpages. Maybe I should move these up on the page so you can find them more easily.
Virginia Kearney 4 years agofrom United States
Samarah--Yes I think that vaccinating children is a very good topic. You can also narrow that to particular types of vaccinations that are new like the chickenpox vaccine or the HPV. Another possible argument on this topic is whether or not it is true that vaccines are the main reason for better health in people today than in the past.
samarah15 4 years ago
Is the right to vaccinate children a good topic?
Virginia Kearney 4 years agofrom United States
I think you can do something related to obesity or how different types of food are good or bad for your health. Or you can talk about GMO foods or organic or locally grown produce.
Virginia Kearney 5 years agofrom United States
Xstatic--I love the fact that you do have a position on everything--I like to look at all sides of things and that is great as an instructor teaching positions, because I can play the devils advocate, but sometimes I do need to just nail down my own point of view!
Jim Higgins 5 years agofrom Eugene, Oregon
A great "how to" for position papers. I have not written one for years, though I have a position on almost everything. Useful Hub and well done as usual.