Technology has played a big role in developing the agricultural industry. Today it is possible to grow crops in a desert by use of agricultural biotechnology. With this technology, plants have been engineered to survive in drought conditions. Through genetic engineering scientists have managed to introduce traits into existing genes with a goal of making crops resistant to droughts and pests.
Lets take a good example. A bacterium known as ”Bacillus Thuringiensis” acts like a reservoir , it enables crops to be insect-resistant , so these genetically modified crops will grow without any interference from pests. The invention of this technology is being used in developing countries to grow cash crops like cotton, since this genetically engineered cotton plants are pest resistant, they grow better than the normal cotton plants hence yielding good results.
From my past article ”Use of technology today and tomorrow” i mentioned the use of mobile apps by a farmer to calculate the amount of grass available in the field. This saves the farmer time and money, they will know how much is left and what to feed their animals. Technology has turned farming into a real business, now farmers have electrified every process, a consumer can place an order directly online, and the product will be transported from the farm to the consumer in time when it’s still fresh. This saves the farmer money and it cuts out mediators who tend to buy low from farmers and sell high to end consumers. Every farmer uses this technology in their own way. Some use it to create fertilizers, others use it to market their products, and others use it in production. So as a farmer, you have to specify what you need. Below is a summary on the use of Technology in agriculture:
- Use of machines on farms. Now a farmer can cultivate on more than 2 acres of land with less labor, and can cut costs even more when they are looking for a used tractor and other harvesting technology, versus new equipment. The use of planters and harvesters makes the process so easy. In agriculture, time and production are so important; you have to plant in time, harvest in time and deliver to stores in time. Modern agricultural technology allows a small number of people to grow vast quantities of food and fiber in a shortest period of time.
- Modern transportation: This helps in making products available on markets in time from the farm. With modern transportation, consumers in Dubai will consume a fresh carrots from Africa with in the same day that carrot lives the garden in Africa. Modern transportation technology facilities help farmers easily transport fertilizers or other farm products to their farms, and it also speeds the supply of agricultural products from farms to the markets where consumers get them on a daily basis.
- Cooling facilities: These are used buy farmers to deliver tomatoes and other perishable crops to keep them fresh as they transport them to the market. These cooling facilities are installed in food transportation trucks, so crops like tomatoes will stay fresh upon delivery. This is a win-win situation for both the consumers of these agricultural products and the farmers. How? the consumers gets these products while still fresh and the farmer will sell all their products because the demand will be high.
- Genetically produced plants like potatoes, can resist diseases and pests, which rewards the farmer with good yields and saves them time. These crops grow very fast they produce healthy yields. Since they are resistant to most diseases and pests, the farmer will spend less money on pesticides, which in return increases on their (RIO) return on investment.
- Development of animal feeds. This has solved the problem of hunting for grass to feed animals, now these feeds can be manufactured and consumed by animals. The price of these feed is fair so that a low income farmer can afford them. Most of these manufactured animal feeds have extra nutrition which improve on the animals health and the out put of these animals will also increase. In agriculture , the health of an animal will determine its output. Poorly feed animals are always unhealthy and they produce very little results in form of milk, meet , or fur.
- Breeding of animals which are resistant to diseases. Most of these genetically produced animals will produce more milk or fur compared to normal animals. This benefits the farmer because their production will be high. Cross breeding is very good in animal grazing, cross breed animals are more strong and productive.
- Irrigation of plants. In dry areas like deserts, farmers have embraced technology to irrigate their crops. A good example is in Egypt, were farmers use water pumps to collect water from river Nile to their crops. Most of these farmers grow rice which needs a lot of water, so they manage to grow this rice using irrigation methods enhanced by advanced technology. Advanced water sprinklers are being used to irrigate big farms and this helps the crops get enough water which is essential in their growth. Some farmers mix nutrients in this water, so also improves on the growth of these crops.
Serious research has been undertaken to publish this content, so you're in the right place. I love technology, I believe embracing its potential for personal, business or educational advancement will pave the way forward for us all. We've all heard "knowledge is power", with this website I hope, to some degree, to empower you!
Most people are unaware of the true significant of agriculture in our society. It’s more than just to provide food to the total numbers of individuals in a certain country. Agriculture does not only provide our nourishment for our daily intake but also an income source of every single nation that exists on this planet, where most manufacturing industries as well as businesses are dependent on it. Without giving a serious attention on it, any country can be politically and economically unstable and paralyzed in any ways.
When social development rises to its peak, so is the importance of technology in agriculture was fully recognizes and brings to open. It began in the early times when our forefather thought of tilling the ground and establishing food crops and grain as a main source of food aside from animals. Agriculture does not only develop every place it has implanted but also give additional knowledge and provide a better technology. No one can deny its importance in our daily lives for it has transformed mankind continually from time to time.
Refined things has evolved and brought forth modern technology into the field of agriculture. From the earliest time, ancient people have already engaged in some form of agricultural technology used in planting, collecting or even gathering. But unfortunately such technological tools are inadequate to bring out the best in agricultural industries. The simple plowing tool that was the most important equipment a farmers had, rest to its usage and form until modern centuries had arrived. It was changed into a steel plow and later was developed into a gigantic plowing machine. Tractors were put into the field as a replacement on the old plowing devices. The once was manually being done, was now operated by machines. The burden and hard labor was now being lessened as man operated equipment rules the field. The importance of technology in agriculture made major changes in farming business.
Another development in agriculture also occurred on this earlier times when the threshing machine was first invented. It was design to separate the grain from the stalks and husk. Over the years before it was created the grains from the crops was separated manually by the used of hands with swings and beats. This was a hard, tough and strenuous activity which would take an hour or a day to finish. Modernization by the used of threshing machine makes the process easy and fast. With this advantage brought by technology on agriculture provide a quicker supply of food in a certain city or towns. Importance of technology in agriculture brings numerous major modifications in agricultural machines that introduced equipment that decreased the volume of labor needed but augmented productivity.
Even though advancement can be quiet expensive sometimes yet, high-end technological advances have been a great benefit to most farmers by constructing a stress-free and more cost-effective agricultural existence. Therefore, technology makes an impact to every individual and to mankind as a whole. The importance of technology in agriculture gives a dynamic force for world’s development-an economic backbone.
So, as you seen technology is really important for agriculture, do share your thoughts on this topic with us in the comments below.
- science and technology in agriculture essay
- importance of technology in agriculture
- role of technology in agriculture
- modern technology in agriculture essay
- advantages of modern technology in agriculture
- importance of modern agriculture
- importance of agricultural technology
- essay on technology in agriculture
- importance of science and technology in agriculture
- importance of agriculture technology